Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Immigration -

Kiwi pundit looks at immigration

Here's a simple approach: any immigrant who is convicted of a crime or who is unemployed for a total of six months or more should be automatically sent home, whether a permanent resident or not. 'Employed' means working and paying taxes, not just living without a benefit. Citizenship should be available after five years and be irrevocable. Family reunification is letting in far too many unsuitable people, and should be limited to one partner and children, whom the sponsor is expected to support.

I expect that "convicted of a crime" means convicted of a serious crime - I think speeding for example would be a silly reason for deportation but I see no problem deporting criminals.

I also think laws like "being unemployed for 6 months are far too arbitrary and also very easy to get around after all there is already a large amount of job fraud going on. furthermore, in practice when you allow people into the country you run into problems demanding people take care of them - for example if someone lets a child into NZ but then abuses them you cant deport the child or send them back. Immigration laws are fraught with such issues.

We must also consider the costs of moving away from UN treaties and
as noted by NorightTurn then again maybe screwing the UN is a positive.

Having said that I accept the need for some standard - proof that they are indeed adding value and the family reunifications policy has long bothered me.
I suggest we gather as much information as possible as soon as possible. A refugee should have to apply on behalf of his whole family so we can consider the full package even if they don’t apply they should provide the appropriate information. If they don’t we can make it more difficult for them.


Blogger Nigel Kearney said...

I meant the legal definition of crime, i.e. an offence under the Crimes Act. Definitely not speeding or other regulatory infringements.

I don't know how easy it is to fraudulently claim you have been employed 90% of the time over a five year period. You'd have to find an employer willing to make your PAYE and ACC contributions for a start. A work requirement is a lot better than a non-benefit requirement IMO.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Genius said...

Generally I dont think the immigration department doesnt have acess to the information (eg tax records) it needs.

For example I understand you can dispute a minimum wage issue as a illegal immigrant and expect that it will probably not come to the attention of immigration.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home