Sunday, October 26, 2008

Biden/powell

Both Powell and Biden seem to be predicting a international event (presumably military). Now he media have focused on how this is politically foolish. But anyone stop to think about hte other aspect - like they might know something we don't?

So what is this event? Biden mentioned Russia and the middle east.
I imagine the main issue they have in mind may be a collapse in Iraq related to withdrawal. I.e. blood on the streets sort of collapse. But do we have any other ideas? Also why is it that we have a system where it seems the politicians are making gaffes and deserve our distain if they veven hint at what they honestly think will happen?

Quotes
Powell : "there’s going to be a crisis which will come along on the 21st, 22nd of January that we don’t even know about right now. And so I think what the President has to do is start using the power of the oval office and the power of his personality to convince the American people and convince the world that America is solid."
Biden : "
Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy. And he's gonna have to make some really tough - I don't know what the decision's gonna be, but I promise you it will occur."
"
And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you, not financially to help him, we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."

2 Comments:

Blogger Genius Deferred said...

Though this is slightly off-topic, I really don't like Joe Biden. I think he's a "loose cannon", so I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt. I'd be more inclined to listen to Colin Powell, only if he's still receiving regularly security briefings on what's happening intelligence-wise with our military. My thinking is, they're speaking in "general terms" saying that something is inevitable, but they're not sure what. When I first heard Powell make that statement, I sure thought he was speaking "generally", as in "there's going to be a big test as soon as he gets into office", without needing (or even having an example) of what that "big test" will be. Of course, thinking logically, it would stand to reason that someone WOULD want to test the new President, simply to see what he's made of, and how he governs/reacts.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Genius said...

some types of loose cannon aren't so bad. I remember reading a critique of a politician that said that he told the truth too much and I was thinking - yeah that might be a problem to party members but to general voters? Do we really want to elect people who constantly lie to us?
Anyway I guess we will see shortly if they were 'talking through a hole in their heads' or not.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home